Stuart's Volkswagen GTE Forum

Previous Topic | Forum Index

Charging port door not locking

Posted by private, Mon 10 Jan 2022 9:38 pm Edit | Delete
Good evening, I've recently acquired a 2018 golf GTE. I've noticed you have had issues with the actuator on the charging port door not locking, mine too appears to have this issue. Can you go into more detail as to how you've solved this and if you have any part numbers etc? Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.
Phil.
Posted by StuartDalby, Tue 11 Jan 2022 8:50 pm
Hello Phil,

Thank you for your email.

As mentioned at the end of my article (https://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vw_gte/charge_port_door_lock ), back in October I decided to leave it as it was, i.e. not locking. I haven't really looked into it further until tonight.

From the photo I took when I removed the actuator last year, I can see that the part number is partially obscured with a dab of paint! But after doing a little research it looks like the full part number is 5GE 810 773. Googling this seems to bring up similar looking parts however they are often referred to as a Throttle Control Element! I therefore wonder if it is a generic actuator. They don't appear particularly expensive so I might buy one at some point. If you do so before me, do please let me know how you get on. I'd be interested to know how a working actuator behaves.

How are you liking your GTE?

Stuart
Posted by private, Tue 11 Jan 2022 9:29 pm Edit | Delete
Hi Stuart,

Thank you for getting back to me, I wasn't sure if to expect a reply or not but it's good to hear from you.

Yes I did read about you deciding to leave it, but wondered if you'd looked into it any further.

Thanks for the part number, it does look as though it's the correct part, it might just be a rough German/English translation, I work with numerous different types of German textile machinery and some of the translated part names are hilarious.

I may look into getting it done under warranty which brings me to my next point....

Mine has the upgraded headlights which are excellent, but they do have a small amount of condensation towards the bottom of both headlight units which is showing slightly when its cold I don't know if that's something you've noticed, but doesn't seem quite right. Just strange that it's both. I might seek to get them changed while it's still under warranty.

I'm very much enjoying the car so far and it's pretty much perfect for my needs, 90% of my journeys are to work and back which is 5 miles away. Loving the preheat function, and I plan on keeping it for a good few years so I've set the battery max charge limit to 90% to try and keep it in top shape.

Just out of interest also, you don't know of any decent forums that cater for these cars? Coming from a Jaguar I use a very very good forum, but can't seem to find one that's any good. The first one I went on didn't even acknowledge my introduction post.

Thanks again for getting back to me,

Phil.
Posted by StuartDalby, Wed 12 Jan 2022 3:04 pm
Hi Phil,

When you say your GTE has the upgraded headlights, do you mean the LED headlights with the blue stripe? If so, my car has the same but I’ve never noticed any condensation.

I am also planning on keeping the car for many years but I’m not worried about fully charging the HV battery each time. My understanding is that the charge level reported by the car is not the same as the charge level of the HV battery. i.e. the control modules will maintain the health of the battery by ensuring that it is never charged to 100% capacity nor will it ever be allowed to drop to 0%. This appeared to be confirmed recently by my VCDS which reported cell charge levels of 17% even when the car said it had 0 miles electric range. Similarly, I suspect when the car says it is fully charged, the cell charge levels may only be around 80%. I might try to remember to check this.

The only forum I visit occasionally is https://www.speakev.com/forums/vw-golf-GTE/

Stuart
Posted by private, Wed 12 Jan 2022 3:10 pm Edit | Delete
Hi again,

Yes just a slight bit of condensation at the bottom half of both headlights, but only seems to be when it's cold. I have on a couple of other forums and they say the lights aren't sealed units like some brands, but vented, so it might just be some moisture that's accumulated if the cars been in inside storage for while and I've now got it outside where it's a bit cooler.

I've noticed too that when the charge runs out, and showing 0 miles, it will still use the electric motor from time to time at slower speeds, it may also be used for other things in and around the car such as the heating, starter motor lights etc.

I'll take a look at that forum thanks!

Phil.

Want to comment on this page? Contact Me